Time Series Plots:
Note: as of February 11, 2003 all drifters have ceased transmitting.
The lone drifter to transmit all the way up to the end was drifter #6, which
froze into the ice north of Bering Strait in mid December 2002. Please stay
tuned for the possibility of more drifters for deployment later in 2003 and
subsequent analysis of these drifters motion.
- The top two plots are of latitude and longitude versus time. The 12-hour
tidal signal is seen as the dominant feature here.
- The bottom plot is of temperature... at this time of year the ocean will
be slowly cooling until it reaches the freezing temperature in November or
- Drifters numbered 1-9 are SVP type drifters
and have drogues at 10m depth. Drifters numbered 10-15 are CODE
type drifters and are drogued at 1m depth.
- Click on one of the thumbnail images below for a detailed view.
- Current conditions in the northern Bering
Sea. (Sea Surface Temperature, Pressure, Winds, Ice Cover)
These figures indicate the "health" of the drifters.
Displayed in the plots are:
- Battery Voltage
- GPS Signal - whether or not the GPS reading was verified as valid.
- Drogue Sensor - whether or not the subsurface drogue is felt to be attached
to the surface float.